History of the Bowl
Designed by renowned architects Austen Pierpont and Roy Wilson, “Ojai Festival Bowl” was built in what was then called “Civic Park” in 1957 for a cost of $12,000. By the 1970s, the Bowl became known as Libbey Bowl when Civic Park turned into Libbey Park.
1952: The Ojai Festivals holds first outdoor concert at the Ojai Civic Center Park now Libbey Park. A temporary platform and large canvas tarp are brought in to serve as stage for the two concerts conducted by Thor Johnson.
1954: Ojai Festivals builds permanent outdoor theater in Ojai Civic Center Park. Festivals holds first concert in new theater on Sunday, May 23.
1955: Roy Wilson and Austin Pierpont begin plans to construct a permanent Bowl and Shell.